Hello Bookstore Friends!
We received a great bit of advice/info In response to last weeks email about returns...
"Something we have found that works well is that we pull all the returns to the bottom shelf of the section. That way there are not teetering piles of books all over the store or in the back room. As we are working through this we have a giant sign advertising a "Bottom Shelf Sale" where everything on the bottom shelf is 30% off and let folks know via FaceBook etc. Admittedly we don't sell tons during this period because our goal is to get it boxed up and out the door as soon as possible, but it is a convenient way to store all the returns until they are sorted, scanned and boxed."
- Shelley Macbeth from Blue Heron Books (Uxbridge, Ontario)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fall 2012 Ordering is Fast Approaching…
…so we thought we’d give you a quick refresher to using online catalogues!
- Go to your own Webstore, and log in.
- by default, after logging in you will be taken to a “staff home page” which is actually the “Catalogues and Lists” area of your site. The lists currently in your inbox will appear to the right. If you have been maintaining your inbox, only the most recent lists should be displayed. If not, you may want to take a few minutes and clean out your inbox, trashing the lists you will never use and archiving the ones you don’t want to view right now but may want to come back to later. We have automatically sorted the most recent lists in your inbox into daily (lists added today) and weekly (lists added this week) so you can quickly get to the most recent lists.
- Use filters to find the lists you want to work with. Most often you’ll want to filter by Supplier but there are times you may want to view lists by Category (say, all Calendar lists or all Promotional lists) or by Season (say, all Fall 2012 lists). You can use a combination of filters to get really specific – say, RAN Audio lists for Fall 2012.
- Order! Click on the list name and browse the titles within. Change the display mode to get the details you need for each item. (We’d recommend using the Inventory view for maximum information on each title.) Click on the cart square (below the details of the item) to open the “cart” for each item, which will allow you to choose the supplier and qty to order, as well as set a sell price, class, and make notes on the item (as long as you’re sending us a backup file… you are, right?). All of this title information will be sent through to your BookManager software when the online order is processed.
- Review and send the order. Click on the “go to Cart” button at the top of the site. You’ll be taken into your online Order Processing area, where you will see your orders organized by supplier. You can review the ISBNs on order for each supplier, and edit the quantities or delete items altogether. When you are ready, click on “submit” to send the order into your BookManager software. NO ORDERS ARE SENT TO SUPPLIERS at this time. Rather, the order is sent into your 8-Order Processing area in your software, and from here you process and send the order as you would normally.
We are working hard to get as many suppliers as possible onboard with online catalogues for the Fall 2012 ordering season. Stay tuned to our weekly emails as we will be posting links to each vendor's catalogues as well as other promotional lists. We hope that our online catalogues will be an all-in-one tool that helps you, in conjunction with your reps and printed catalogues, to place orders in the most efficient manner possible.
And, as always, if you have any questions or comments about our online catalogues, please don’t hesitate to drop us a line!
Re-sizing your BookManager window
It seems that more and more stores are updating their computers [See ya Windows 98!] and as such, have to get adjusted to a few minor tweaks and changes with how their BookManager appears on these newer systems. Probably the biggest adjustment for most of you, is the size of the BM window. Anyone running the program on a computer with either Windows Vista or Windows 7, know that the Aero graphics interface does not support the full screen mode. As such, here are some tips on how to size the window so that you are not straining your eyes on a daily basis. Please note, this is all work-station specific, so you will need to do this on which ever computer you need/want re-sized.
TIP – We have a mix of Windows XP, Vista and 7 machines running in our own bookstore, but we choose to use BM in a smaller window even on the XP machines, as we are constantly toggling between the ‘web and the actual software. We find it’s more convenient to be able to just click over and switch the focus between any other programs we are running and BookManager.
1 . Right click the top of your BM window, select Properties
2. Click the font tab and change it to Lucida Console and then select a size.
We suggest somewhere between 20 and 28 max. Otherwise, if you get too ambitious with the size and select something like 36, you will have an annoying horizontal “scrollbar” at the bottom – but this all depends on your screen resolution. You will be able to tell whether you will fall victim to the scroll bar, in the tiny window preview on the left.
When in doubt, give us a call, and we can quickly help you tweak the display so that you have things set up how you like ‘em!